Monday, March 15, 2010

Bay Area Collective Intelligence MeetUp

Sunday, March 14, 2010
Here are some of my personal take aways - as I don't take notes at informal events to document the overall discussion, but rather to remember details I want to follow up on and reference later.

Met today with 5 other people interested in discussing Government via Collective Intelligence. This was an informal, unstructured meeting with no agenda other than an open sharing of minds.
Since I'm currently working on documenting what I'm calling the "crowdsourcing ecosystem", I shared my 3 different mindmap visuals at the beginning with 2 other people. I am doing market research in testing how much recognition there is about the terminology, as well as how much interest there is about the details, and my potential business idea. This was quite valuable feedback for me, as the more I present my thinking, the more I come away with to add to the maps as well as to develop the potential product. (customer driven product validation)

Authors/Books Mentioned:
MIT Collective Intelligence Center Handbook of Collective Intelligence
Daniel Suarez - The Daemon
Anthony Pagden - Worlds At War
Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age

Articles
Robin Hanson Futarchy
Monica Anderson Artificial Intuition

Other
The Corporation the film and Campaign 4 Corporate Harm Reduction
Raven's Progressive Matrices - test of intelligence
Neotopia - comic book
Project Artaud - artist collective

Michael, Nate and I began by discussing the founding father's intentions, the corporation as a person, and the 14th amendment. We were joined by 2 people coming from the Artificial Intelligence meetup and went back to how crowdsourcing is a subset of collective intelligence, with a brief history of mechanical turk as "artificial artificial intelligence". We never agreed on a definitive definition of collective intelligence, but did discuss how captcha works to assist google in digitizing old books that are being scanned. We bandied about politics, power, voting systems,
state seccession movements, theoretical consensus techniques, deferring to experts, deconstructing institutions and replacing them with 5 year models, efficiency of meetups...

I invite you to comment and expand upon these notes! Thanks again Michael for hosting. I look forward to the next discussion.

No comments: